Welcome to my blog!

My passion is to coach my clients to discover their God-given purpose and vision, to motivate them to pursue their dreams and goals, and to equip them to live their lives physically, emotionally, mentally, spiritually, and financially healthy. My desire is to walk beside them and encourage them to achieve the life they have always wanted. It is possible to live a life of purpose, passion, and vision!

Thanks for visiting my site! Please come back again!


Friday, December 10, 2010

Practice what you preach

Two years ago I facilitated a group at our church through the Dave Ramsey Financial Peace program. It was awesome and really put us on the right path to be debt free. Along the way we've hit a lot of bumps in the road. A year ago we were on the verge of bankruptcy. My husband has worked in the oilfield for over 6 years and they had slowed down to the point that we were fearing for our future. We had just had our second child and our income had been cut by 50%. We were so greatful for the job, but nothing was gauranteed and we didn't know how long we could last. We decided to sell our house and move back home. Slowly things started to improve and Brandon's company started to give back their income.

 They say it takes a few years to recover from bankruptcy (or near bankruptcy in our case) and I'm thankful to say that we are finally starting to pay off debt again and hopefully soon we can start rebuilding our savings. It has not been easy but we have managed to pay off nearly $12000 in medical bills (when the company changed insurance's they didn't cover Eli being born or a surgery Claire had inbetween the switch-it was a mess!), and around $12000 in car debt and other bad debt! That is quite the accomplishment! I trully believe what it says in Proverbs that the borrower is servant to the lender. It is one of the worst feelings to be in bondage to debt. I cannot wait till the day we pay off the very last cent. It will definately be a celebration!

As I look to the future I can see God preparing us for great things financially. But, it really doesn't matter what kind of income you make. As long as you have debt hanging over your head and continue to make impulsive financial decision you will never have true freedom...and you will always live paycheck to paycheck. We have earned an income of $20,000 a year to over six figures, but we always managed to find a way to spend everything we earned! How stupid! Then when life took a detour, and we were not able to earn the income we had been at, we nearly fell apart. I don't ever want to be in that situation again. I don't ever want to have to choose between feeding my family or paying my bills.

I HATE debt with every fiber of my being and the bondage that it has over so many families. It destroys marrriages and tears families apart. It is tearing this country apart because when it comes down to it, we are a country of debt. Debt is so normal to us the thought of someone not having any is crazy and unattainable. Let me assure you that it is attainable. It is not easy and it sucks sometimes but it is worth it.

 We are no were near paying off all of the debt we have accumulated but we are chipping away at it one penny at a time. And every month we are one month closer to freedom and a debt free life!

No comments:

Post a Comment